Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Wednesday's Devotion

Well, this has been a busy blog day! It's been so great to hear what is going on. Hopefully we'll hear more tomorrow but right now they should all be sound asleep so there shouldn't be much more blogging going on tonight.

Pray for lots of energy and strength for the team. It sounds like they are working hard and are tired! I did hear from Kirk that the food wasn't so bad and there were a few more options than chicken, rice and boiled eggs. So parents, we shouldn't worry too much. :)

Tomorrow should be a good day. If word came through correctly, they are working a 1/2 day at the school tomorrow and then going to the mission to sort and pass out shoes.

------------------
Here is the devotion they are schedule to do on Wednesday morning - our Tuesday night.

Kenya 2008: A guide for your time alone with God
The following devotionals were taken from The Message Remix: Solo.

Wednesday July 23rd – Proverbs 20:22-30

READ: Read the list of statements and instructions, pausing after each one to consider what it says. Does one stand out to you? Memorize it.

THINK: Why does this verse stand out to you? Let it lead you to ponder your own life. Try to avoid thinking about other people’s actions or motives; think instead about only your own. Maybe you’ll be reminded of making an impulsive promise, or perhaps you’ll check your attitude about toward gray hair or youth.

PRAY: Invite God into your thoughts. Tell him what you have been discovering. Be aware of your feelings while you pray. Be yourself in God’s presence.

LIVE: Explore your overall experience with this text so far. Why did you respond the way you did to the wise instruction God is communicating in this passage? Remember that God knows all about you – even the parts of you that are rebellious and don’t care about what’s right – and yet he loves you deeply.

3 comments:

Vickie Pichnic said...

As I stay up late to read the devotion around the time the team is reading and preparing, a sureal feeling washes over me. The Kenyan people have so little, and need so much. Yet after today, when they receive their new shoes they will not likely be wanting for anything else at that moment...God had provided them with a precious gift.
On the other hand we have so much, and need so very little. Yet, today we will still want for something most likely that we don't even need. Is this just? I was praying for the shoes and for every soul whose "soles" would get them. I pray they see the Love of Christ though our missionaries faces. I pray for many more times just like this that we can show them that God cares and loves them.
It is an unjust situation we see. Pray that our team (and the next team) will takle every unjustice one by one and break them free from every bondage possible here on earth.I thank God for the opportunity to experience this mission through the eyes of my husband and son. Will we ever be the same? No. We won't. Thank God for that too. We will never be the same.

Andrea said...

I agree with you Vickie. I think that if we are not changed in some way from this experience something is devastatingly wrong.

I saw those smiling faces of the orphans in Havilla in the photo. They don't even have their own parent to love on them as only a parent can and I'm concerned over hearing from my daughter after only 4 days of being away.

I know it's a little different because we have grown into a different lifestyle but the twisted reality is that in many ways, they have so much less but are much more content. I mean, really, would I still be able to smile like that if we were in such poverty?

RJLEGRAY said...

I find it so amazing that we, as human beings, think so often that we are in control of what we do and where we go. Verse 24 clearly states that our "steps are directed by the Lord." I certainly believe that this tells us specifically to seek God's guidance in everything we do; wait for His direction; then and only then act! This mission has taught me so much about trusting God. Lauren, and all involved, is on this trip ONLY because God wants her there. If it were left up to Jennifer and me; she'd be here right now. "A man's steps are directed by the Lord." Too often I attempt to take this control and direct my own steps...My prayer is that each of us quits moving on our own and takes their initiative from God!