Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"Jambo" from Callan H.

This is a message from Callan. I don't know if you want to share it.
I called AT&T, our cell phone provider and found out that AT&T customers can call for $4.00 per minute if they have international service on their phone. You don't have to sign up for a plan, just add international service to the phone for free by calling AT&T. Also, text messages are 50 cents per message to or from Callan's phone. She said she has full service and really wants to hear from home. The text message can be any length for 50 cents.

Fonda

From: Callan
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Subject: hello from kenya!

Jambo! hello family, ill try to type the bestt i can on this keyboard. its killing me. we r now at the sportsmans arms hotel in Nanuyki. its much nicer than the oher one we were in, it actually has a shower instead of just a hole in the floor haha. well we have done a ton i won be able to fit it all,( if u notice he T button doent work very well) the fligh \t was long and tough. we got to the otel at around midnight on the 19. he nex day we went to church at he life reformation church which was like 3 hours longgggg. then we went to the havilla orphanage and i found me a little boy that was aout 2 or 3 that i fell in love with he was so adorable. the next day we had to pack up and change hotels which was 4 hours away. then we went and visited he endana primary school...in the middle of nowhere, then the segera mission, it was really cool. i cant wait to show yall picutes i have about 10000 already:) today was our first work day a segera and it was tiring. i shoveled rocks, sad, busted rocks with a sledge hammer...to help lay the cement in the floors of eh school. we played with the kids to and they just love us. everyone wants to hold our hands and touch our skin its so cute. the trip out to the school is about an hour and extremely BUMPY ride in our huge trucks. it makes me really nauseous haha. holly makes fun of me cuz i always end up holding a baby haha. i got ahold of a 6th month old oday, definitely waned to take him with me. well i should go here is a line of people waiting to use the computer. email me back:) oh and also i have FULL service here, its amazing, better than i get in the house! so text me sometime please!!! ill get it at about 3 am but thats cool haha. ok well i love yall see u soon. ps im home sick and i miss moms cookin! all i eat is granola bars and bread. im hoping to lose some lbs hehe. k love u bye!!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I called AT&T to find out about what Fonda said. I got some of the same info and some different. Be sure to check on your own phone if you want to make calls because everyone's plan is possibly different.

On our plan, to the best of my understanding (and it was confusing):

If I call Tori: $2.78/min charged to my number and $3.99/min to Tori's number so the total call is going to be $6.77/minute. I would need to dial the +1 simultaneously and then the 10 digit number. I tried that and couldn't figure it out. Not sure what I was doing wrong. But it's cheaper for her to call me anyway.

Tori calls me: $3.99/min charged to her number and I just use my regular minutes so there's no extra charge. She will need to dial 0001 and then my 10 digit number.

I can get an International Calling Plan added for $3.99/mo to my line and my calls to her would only charge my phone .88/min but she would still be charged $3.99/minute. So for 3 or 4 more days, that just doesn't make sense.

It's pretty darn confusing. I don't think I'm going to try to hard to connect. If it works out, it works out but it appears as if it would just be cheaper all the way around for her to call me.

Oh, texting...
We have family unlimited texting so either way, if I text Tori or she texts me, it will charge her phone .50/text and mine .25/text. So, .75/text total. Keep in mind, though that Tori texted me once when they arrived in Nairobi on Saturday night and I got it on Monday night. Just a little delay. :)

I think I'll just plan on waiting it out just a few more days. I would love to hear her voice but I also don't want to be a distraction.

But Tori, if for some reason you read this while there, you can call me anytime! :)

Andrea said...

Update: I was wrong about the text message delay. Tori texted me last night and it came through righ on time. I was able to clear up that she had sent that first text from Nanyuki and not when they originally arrived in Nairobi.