Sunday, June 20, 2010

Pre-trip Team Devotional Sunday

Two former team members, Chantel and Tony have prepared these short pre-trip guides to help prepare the team spiritually for what God has in store. Please take the time this week to sit with God and listen and pray for the Kenya 2010 team to be prepared to experience all that God has for them. This is intended for the team but who knows, perhaps God has something for you as well.

-----

Have You Cleaned Up?
Isaiah 43:25


Let’s break this verse apart:

“I, even I , am he” – this verse begins with a firm statement that God is “it”. There is no one more powerful; you simply can’t find one above Him. There is no need for us humans to keep searching. We spend so much time, energy and resources trying to find the answer to all our questions. This is one of many verses that God uses to end all discussions and give a final reply, “I am He”. God is stating, “I am the answer to your pain. I am the last ounce of hope. I am the reason for the mysteries of this world.” Let us not overlook on the simple truth that we serve the great I AM.

“who blots out your transgressions” – Let’s start at the word “blot”. The dictionary states that a “blot” is a spot or a stain. Our sin is represented by that spot or stain. When there is stain on an object it stands out because it is not like the original. Removing a stain requires careful blotting with a cloth of some sort.

The careful blotting is what God does to our transgressions (aka: sins). His cleaning technique is gentle but also consistent and with a distinct purpose. If we rub too hard on the stain there is a great chance the stain will go deeper. God’s desire is to remove the sin not push it deeper within us.

The part that sometimes hurts is the consistent blotting that must be done. God has the power to remove our sin immediately but that is not how He works. He consistently works at it. This consistent blotting is what brings us back to our origin (aka: God).

The final part of this verse states “and remember your sins no more”. This is what makes God the great I AM. He is God and yet he chooses to erase your and my sins from His memory. But this is also the part that requires more work on us. God has forgotten the sin, but have you? He has made us clean but for some reason we can’t stop thinking of what was once there.

My friends, take this time to rejoice in knowing that you are clean when your Savior looks at you. And that makes you useful to His Kingdom work.

Prayer:

Lord Jesus, blot my sins away. Thank you for loving me despite my stains. Please help me live, and go, in freedom. Amen.

No comments: